How do you live a good life?
Here is the advice given by John Goodman’s character. Although I refer to the “Fuck You” position as “Financial Freedom.” His advice was to basically put yourself in a position of financial freedom. You’ll have financial freedom when your living expenses are covered by investment income. Once you have financial freedom, you’re in a position of strength for the rest of your life. You’ll have a “Fortress of Fucking Solitude!”
- You won’t have to do work you don’t enjoy
- You won’t have to work with clients who annoy the hell out of you
- You won’t have to deal with bosses, brokers, or people who waste your time and bring you down
- You won’t have to take unnecessary risks with your investments
- You won’t have to sacrifice 80 hours a week of trading your time for money, unless you really want to
“A wise man’s life is based around fuck you.”
A wise man’s life is based around financial freedom. Once you have financial freedom, you don’t stop working. Instead you work for fun. You only do things you enjoy with people you enjoy. You can do cool stuff with your business and your time without having to worry about making a specific amount of money. This makes a life a lot better!
You can use all of the money you earn after you achieve financial freedom however you want. Want to take a trip to Maui? Go for it. Have fun. Want to take the summer off and read philosophy books while drinking wine? Have at it. Or you can continue to invest the money you make after you’ve achieved financial freedom accelerating your wealth further. Your choice.
The only rule is to never take yourself out of the Fuck You Position. Never do anything that brings down your Fortress of Fucking Solitude.